I don`t know why this recipe has got such a strange name as humming bird cake, I think it is probably due to the fact that it tastes so good that you just start humming like a bird. Any ways this is a great simple and easy desserts recipe, not only will you enjoy having it but you`ll also enjoy making this humming bird cake recipe. Plus it can go with pretty much anything and with any type of tea. This is a very rich easy desserts recipe, enjoy it. And don`t forget to leave a word or two at the end.
- 3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 c. vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 (8 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 c. chopped pecans
- 1 3/4 c. mashed bananas
- 1/2 c. chopped pecans
--CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:--
- 1/2 c. butter or margarine, softened
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 (16 oz.) pkg. powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Do not beat.
- Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans and bananas.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 23 to 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes; remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Stir 1/2 cup pecans into cream cheese frosting if desired or reserve them to sprinkle over top of frosted cake.
- Spread frosting between layers and top and sides of cake.
- Cream butter and softened cream cheese.
- Gradually add powdered sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.
Photo by @joefoodie