I am not sure if this Ginger Cookies is actually to be had on a particular occasion or if it just the name. But who care about these little things when a recipe such as this Ginger Cookies from easy desserts taste so good, why care about the occasion. This should be enjoyed anytime and anywhere. Correct me if I am wrong, enjoy it.
- 1C Granulated sugar
- 1/2C Dark corn syrup
- 1/2C Water
- 1T ginger,Ground
- 2t Cinnamon
- 2t cloves,Ground
- 1C butter(or margarine) -Unsalted
- 4C All-purpose flour
- 11/2t Baking soda
- Liquid food coloring If desired
Preparation time:1 1/2hours
Chilling time:12hours or more
- Put sugar, syrup, water, ginger,cinnamon and cloves into a large sauce pan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils and sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat. Add butter. Stir until butter is melted and mixture is no longer very hot.
- Mix flour and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir to blend thoroughly.
- Dough will have a soft texture.
- Place dough in an air tight container and refrigerate overnight or at least 12 hours or as long as1week.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Remove about one-sixth of the dough and knead it until it is slightly softened.
- Roll dough directly on to un-greased cookie sheets until it is about 1/4-inch thick.
- Use a cookie cutter to stamp shapes in dough, allowing a 1-inch margin between each cookie.
- Remove excess dough by lifting it and peeling it away.
- Scraps of dough can be kneaded together and re-rolled.
- Bake until golden brown, about 7 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool slightly and become crisp before removing them from the cookie sheet.
- Cool thoroughly on wire racks. If desired, you may "paint" the cooled cookies using a clean,small paint brush and food coloring that has been watered down slightly.
- Store cookies in airtight containers.
- Note: After the 12-hour resting period, this cookie dough can be hand-molded like clay--rolled, pinched, poked and pressed--and it will keep its shape, expanding slightly while baking.
- Thin cookies will become brown and bake quickly, large and thick shapes will require longer baking.
- Can be cut into any shape desired but make the cookies uniformly thick.
Photo by bradipo