How to enjoy this simple and easy desserts recipes of Great Grandma's Gingerbread Cookies. In my opinion is with a great cup of green tea. That is my way of saying thanks for this lovely recipe. You give it a shot with your best cup of tea or any other bru you might enjoy and tell us about your experience.
- 1/2C Vegetable shortening
- 1C Sugar
- 1/2C Cold water
- 2t Baking soda
- 1C Sorghum(or molasses)
- All-purpose flour(5-6cups)
- 1T cinnamon,Ground
- 1/2T cloves,Ground
- 1T Ginger
- 1/2T Salt
- Cream shortening and sugar in mixing bowl, beat in eggs,one at a time.
- Mix water and baking soda in small bowl until dissolved.
- Add baking soda mixture and sorghum to butter mixture.
- Sift 5 1/2 cups of the flour, the spices and salt together.
- Blend into dough. Divide dough into 4 balls.
- Wrap in plastic wrap. Flatten and refrigerate overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll 1 portion of dough out at a time on lightly floured surface.
- Cut into desired shapes. Bake on a greased cookie sheet until puffed, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Do not over bake.
- When cool, decorate with butter cream frosting and/or candies as desired.
- Sorghum gives these cookies a special flavor, but molasses can be used as a substitute.
Photo by Elenadan