What can be more exciting than to enjoy the most out of you easy desserts Apple Pie Grand Champion. Not only is it one of the best classic recipes. it is just the best in any you look at it. You need to try it out if you haven`t already done so. Give it a shot and tell us what you think about it.
- 2c flour
- 1t salt
- 1c shortening,(chilled)
- 1/4c ice water
- For filling
- 1c sugar, plus 2 TBSP divided use
- 4T flour, divided use
- 2t cinnamon
- 1ds nutmeg
- 7lg Gravenstein apples, peeled -and cored cut in to medium-thin,Slices
- 2T butter
- Extra sugar for top of pie
- For crust: Sift flour with salt.Using a pastry blender, add half the shortening to the flour mixture and cut in until crumbly.
- Add remaining shortening, cutting in until mixture looks like small peas. Add 1table spoon ice water to flour mixture and mix. Repeat with additional water until all flour is thoroughly moistened.
- Form into a ball. Divide ball in half. Wrap each half in wax paper and chill in refrigerator.
- When chilled, roll out bottom crust and line pie plate with it.
- For filling: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.In a small bowl, combine 2 table spoons sugar and 2 table spoons flour.
- Spread this mixture on bottom crust to absorb liquid. Combine remaining sugar, flour,cinnamon and nutmeg in a bowl and mix well. Pour sugar mixture over sliced apples and mix well. Pour apples into pie crust.
- Dot with small chunks of butter. Roll out top crust and place on top of apples.Crimp edges and make 5 (1 1/2-inch long) slits on top of pie crust. Brush top crust lightly with milk. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 5 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for 1 hour.
- Note:It's best to chill all crust ingredients, including bowl, fork, flour and shortening.
Photo by merfam